Wednesday, April 30, 2008

This is our son!!! IT'S THE BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!!!!!

This is our son, Benjamin Youshan, from China who we received into our hearts yesterday when our adoption agency let us know we'd been matched with him. A day before our birthday--this is the best birthday present we've ever received! Look at that little face!
Su Youshan is his Chinese name now at the orphanage. Benjamin Youshan is like saying Benjamin, who was born in the year of the Rooster, will be kind-hearted. You means year of the rooster and Shan means kind. Oh yeah...and Benjamin means son of my right hand in Hebrew. So...the son of our right hand, who was born in the year of the rooster, will be kind-hearted. Is that long enough? Ha ha...
Unfortunately, we can't get him right away. We have to wait for China to give us the ok to come and get him. We will most likely fly over sometime late summer or fall, probably in the fall. They will probably let us know 3-6 weeks before we have to fly. Yikes, if it's only 3 weeks notice, that'll be an interestingly busy 3 weeks. I hope they have the forethought to let us know more ahead of time. I will have to find a substitute and we will have to get doggie care for those two weeks. And pack... What could we be doing here? Someone is making him smile! According to the report, he's shy, quiet, fairly introverted right now, likes quietness, and is afraid of strangers. However, he likes listening to music and singing, playing with toys (what child doesn't like that?), and reading picture books. I will have to introduce him to the piano (little that I know)! His favorite activities listed are stacking blocks and bouncing a ball. His favorite toys listed are balls and cars.
His birthday and place of finding
Bejamin Youshan, was formerly Su Yousan (Su is currently his last name and is derived from the fact that he lives in Suzhou City, a little west of Shanghai). He was apparently left near Dapuji Bridge in Suzhou City because that's where he was picked up at 12:04 on July 15, 2005. Chinese doctors estimated him to have been born that day. His birthday is therefore July 15. This July, he will be three years old. I guess we will celebrate his birthday without him. Perhaps we will take pictures of the celebration and send the pictures to him if we can!
Where is Suzhou City and what is it like?
It's in southeastern China, in the Jiangsu province, 50 miles west of Shanghai. It's about a 45-minute train ride and about an hour drive from Shanghai. This city is not an out there place--it ranks as the 5th city in GDP in China, has a lot of businesses, and is a tourist destination with a lot of gardens. It was built in the 5oo's BC, is 42% covered by water, is "semi-humid and subtropical," is called the Venice of China, and is along the Yangtze River and on Lake Taihu. Link about Suzhou City: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzhou Another good link with nice pictures: http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/suzhou.htm
We were meant to go to this city--unlike many areas of China, where it seems they eat only pork, duck, and bugs on sticks at restaurants, they are known for their seafood and chicken dishes. There is also a vegetarian restaurant in the city--woowee for me!!! Suzhou is also known for the sweet taste of the dishes--I hope it is also spicy! I read that the cuisine is unique in that they have many different yummy desserts--they are so into this that the roadside pastries differ monthly. It is also known for it's art, performing arts, fans, and clothing materials and designs. The best time to visit, according to one site, is either the spring or fall, because the summer is very hot and the winter is colder. On one site, I did read from a couple of visiting Americans that they weren't too impressed by Suzhou because of all the traffic, pollution, people spitting, industry, etc., claiming that more beautiful places were in nearby smaller cities. They also said not to expect the kind of gardens we usually imagine as beautiful. I guess think Bonsai style instead of filled with flowers. We'll see!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another nice thing that happened today was the fiesta my students threw for me in my West Chicago class. I was about to take a break with them in the sanctuary for Bible study time when one of my students shut the door, not letting me out, and two students scurried out. They came back with balloons, roses, and a card, and impressed me with singing Happy Birthday in English! After Bible study, they brought out cakes, put candles in one and sang it again and then sang it in Spanish. One lady who brought a radio to class turned on traditional Mexican music while we ate Mexican cake with cute little plastic clowns all over it and a jello and flan combo. dessert. Each student came up to me to give me a hug. My students are all SOooo sweet. I feel so blessed on this Birthday, mostly because of our precious new son!!!!!

6 comments:

mom2twoboys said...

Wow! Congratulations! Where is he from? How old is he? What a switch, from a little girl to a little boy! Hey, if you're in the area (IOW, if he's in South China), drop me a line.

How's your Mandarin? :-) I guess you have enough time to do a crash course, LOL.

Michelle

Vive...rie...ama said...

Sally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stacie just sent me an email that you were going to adopt a 3 year old son!!!!! I am SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!:) We need to get together before you go and have some chats:). I have a great list of extremely useful Mandarin phrases for a 3 year old boy:). I would love for you to meet Tonito too!!! Our sons can be little buddies:). Can you email me?? I would love to switch phone numbers and talk sometime- beckmorales (at) hotmail
I am SO, SO SO excited for you!!!! You are in for the journey of a lifetime- this is an AMAZING TIME for you and your husband!!!! I can't wait to talk to you:). Congratulations and Happy Birthday!!!

Vive...rie...ama said...

Oops- I didn't sign the last comment- that was me, Becky:).

Unknown said...

From Daddy -

I know Ben is meant to be our son. I have felt God leading us to him every step of the way. vive...rie...ama wrote that "this is an AMAZING TIME." That it has been! There is a lot of excitement and anticipation in our house (even the dogs seem to be in good moods), and I have just been in awe watching God work this out.

I think of the special times when my Dad would take me to the park to play ball, fly kites and gliders, etc..., and I am looking forward to providing the same memories for my child.

mom2twoboys said...

Oh, Suzhou. One of my church friends is from Suzhou. Historically it's known for refinement and culture. Nowadays, it doesn't surprise me about the dirt and spitting, LOL. That is par for the course.

Guess we won't be seeing you--you'll probably go through SH rather than BJ or HK.

Michelle

Vive...rie...ama said...

I didn't get the message because I am at hotmail:) and also you have to take out the "y".. Can you resend it!!!:) I am so excited for you Sally!!!!